Saturday, February 18, 2012

Ode to Falling Down


Today I went on a run for the first time since arriving in Dakar almost six weeks ago. Surely you have a sense of how that went from the title of this post. It was an amazing run though! I started in my neighborhood and fell soon after the sidewalk changed from hard sand to cobblestone. Uneven ground and not having run in a long time is apparently not a good combination. I took my first tumble within the first 15 minutes, right as a taxi was driving past me. Perfect. The driver kindly reminded me to remember my cell phone which was now a few feet in front of me. After checking the damage done – a nice purple bruise on my hip and a slightly scraped up calf, I decided to walk/jog to the Baobab Center and use the mirrors there to check that there weren't any injuries I couldn't see. A few minutes later I passed the same taxi parked on the side of the road. The driver asked to make sure I wasn't hurt. I assured him I was fine and thanked him for his concern.

About 10 minutes later, I fell again. This time, I was on the sidewalk next to a split highway, 6 lanes total. Way to go me! I eventually made it to the beach, my goal this entire time. Once I got there, I started running the length of the beach (which wasn't that long). There were three young men also running the length of the beach, which is nothing compared to the amount of men who work out on the beach later in the evening. Running on the sand was a new experience for me so I'm sure I looked a bit ridiculous but the guys were nothing but positive. The first time I passed the two that were running together in the opposite direction, one said “run well” (in French). Second time: Go! Go! Go! (in English). I took a short break and when I started again, he asked “why did you stop?” “It's my first time.” “Ahh (in an understanding tone).” Our next interaction: Keep running! (in French). Way to be awesome!

Sand is forgiving; that is the perfect word to describe what I learned from running on the sand f.

Alxamdulilaay (Thank God) that forgiveness has met me most of the times I've stumbled or fallen down in cross-cultural interactions, in friendships/relationships, and in faith.

So here is my musical ode to falling down:

All Fall Down – One Republic
 Get Back Up (TobyMac)
 Falling Slowly – Glen Hansard (such a good song!)
Let Me Fall - Josh Groban
 Dare You to Move - Switchfoot
Everything Falls - Fee
Fallen - Sarah MacLachlan

Honorable Mentions:
After I Fall – Lee Ann Womack
Falling Down - Clear
Lift Us Up to Fall – Tenth Avenue North
Fallen – Vib Gyor
Break Me Down – Tenth Avenue North
We Fall Down - Chris Tomlin

1 comment:

  1. good to read your posts Debbie ... you eye is sharp and your heart open! Bill C

    ReplyDelete