Wednesday, February 1, 2012

Jamm? - Peace? (The political situation in Senegal)


This time last year, I knew very little about Senegalese politics. Like most of you, I was content just knowing that it has a stable democratic government and hadn't been in the headlines for political unrest or rebellions. In the past three and a half weeks, Senegalese politics have become immensely important to me.

So why do I feel the need to write a blog post about Senegalese politics? Well, because the times they are a changin' and events in the past few days have attracted international attention. I don't want you to worry unnecessarily, I find it all pretty interesting, and it has certainly shaped my experience here.

The essentials:
  • The Senegalese presidential election is at the end of this month (Feb. 26) and has become increasingly controversial. Various branches of the government have acted in questionable ways and Senegalese people want to keep the government accountable to maintaining a fair and transparent democracy. So far the protests have been mostly peaceful. The ones that have been a bit more violent are farther from Dakar.
  • This is all happening at least a 40 minute walk away from where I live and go to school. (We walk everywhere here so that's the way I measure distance.) I'm not seeing this with my own eyes, I'm reading about it in the papers etc.
  • It's very unlikely that anything serious will happen. Nothing at all comparable to Egypt or Libya. Think more along the lines of the Madison protests or the Occupy movements.
  • I am absolutely fine, and am in the best hands possible should something happen.
If you're curious, here's the basics:
  • The incumbent, Abdoulaye Wade, is atleast 85 years old and has been in power since 2000. He has declared himself as a candidate for this election, which would be his third term in office.
  • After he became president in 2000, he made some changes to the constitution, including setting a two-term limit. After winning the 2007 election, Wade said he wouldn't run in 2012.
  • In 2009, Wade tried to create the unelected position of Vice President with the underlying intention to name his son to the position and thus create a easy and legal way to maintain power.
  • In June 2011, Wade tried to make additional constitutional changes that would make his reelection in 2012 easier. Cue protests, Wade withdraws intended reforms.
  • Cue organization of opposition into “M23.”
  • The past weekend, the Conseil Constitutional judged the legitimacy of the Wade's candidacy as well as all other candidates. Almost all Senegalese and foreign scholars of constitutional law held the position that Wade's candidacy was unconstitutional.
  • The Conseil Constitutional however ruled that it was constitutional. Definitely some hints of bribery and corruption.
  • Throughout the weekend and again today, there have been protests and rallies in Dakar and other big cities in Senegal. Civilians and police have both been injured and a few have died. The gendermarie (which as far as I understand is a special police force for the executive branch) have gotten involved and have acted preemptively.
  • M23 has plans to continue putting pressure on Wade and the current government. (They want Wade to withdraw his candidacy).
How this has impacted my experience:
  • Class was cancelled this afternoon. My host siblings had the day off.
  • I've been pretty cooped up at home since Friday afternoon. I only have internet at school, so I've been pretty disconnected from life back in the states.
  • While I feel adequately informed by the Baobab Center staff, almost all the other sources of information are in French or Wolof. Radio, the most accessible source, is almost entirely in Wolof (which I understand only at a very basic level). When I'm lucky, I find a report in french or the BBC station does a short report on Senegal in English.
  • I sometimes hear vague chanting or people speaking thru megaphones from my house. I have no idea what they're saying. I wish I did.
  • This morning, my literature teacher told us her best student was killed during the protests yesterday. This is hitting close to home.
Interesting things about this all:
  • Protests mean no school, and not just for foreigners who are hyper-worried about safety, but for many primary and secondary schools. Would this happen in the US? What would it take for school to be canceled because of protests?
  • Is the US paying more attention to this because of Senegal's history of being a model democracy in West Africa (and all of Africa)? Uh, yes, no question about that.
  • One of the first things I noticed about Dakar was the political graffiti that lined the streets. Contrast that to what seems to the most visible display of the US elections: TV commercials.
  • On Monday, I checked the New York Times and NPR to see the extent to which Senegal was in US news. The difference in what was included in the each report was frustratingly amusing.
    http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=145955117
  • An insight from the professor of my Dakar in Transition course: Regardless of where this goes, it will not turn as violent as Egypt or Libya because modern weapons are not as accessible. Only one side (the government) has them. The opposition has their bodies, and very basic makeshift weapons.
Senegal is known for being a peaceful place. The Wolof language is centered around the concept of peace. To ask about one's health, you ask if their body has peace. When asking if someone had a good night, you ask if their night had peace. One of the common phrases used to ask how someone is doing is to ask if they have peace...you get the pattern.

I'll conclude with this quote I see almost everyday at the Baobab Center: Know justice, know peace. No justice, no peace. - Fa Fa Dougna, Togo

Translation: No to Wade's 3rd term.

M23= Free People/Freed People, M23 = Peace 

This is the office of a human rights organization, I forget it's name. The sign reads "don't touch my constitution."

2 comments:

  1. Na nga def!

    You don't know me. but I know your grandparents from Moraga Valley Pres, and I also know your mom, who sent me the link to your blog. I hope you are having a wonderful time in Dakar.

    I was in Dakar and the surrounding area in 1997, as part of an institute by the National Endowment for the Humanities. We were 20 French teachers from around the US, chosen in national competition. We spent 2 1/2 weeks at Old Dominion University, studying the history, geography culture and literature of West Africa, then 2 1/2 weeks in Senegal. We actually met some of the authors whose works we had read. We were at Université Sheikh Anta Diop. Our group visited the Centre Baobab one day, and I purchased a magnificent batik of a baobab tree there.

    Best of luck to you!

    Stan Oberg

    ReplyDelete
  2. Just noticed the pic with the banner "Touche pas à ma constitution." It, along with the graphic of the hands, is taken from a similar thing on buttons that some French young people wear (or at least wore a few years ago). They read "Touch pas à mon pote." It was an anti-racist slogan that basically means "Don't touch my buddy/pal." Used to show solidarity with the immigrant/racial minority population in France.

    ReplyDelete