Wednesday, May 2, 2012

tukkinanu - we traveled

Oh the places you'll go, oh the things you'll see, oh the things that you neglect to blog about in a timely manner!!!

Several of the next blogs will be about various mini-trips that I've taken within Senegal. This blog will be rather short because I'm preparing to travel again this morning, this time largely on my own. Prayers for travel mercies would be much appreciated, though I'm confident that everything will work out fine. The other Beloit girls and I have had several interesting travel adventures this past semester, all of which have prepared me very well for embarking on this journey alone. (Granted, it is to a place that I have already been and I have good connections with people who live there. Don't worry, I'm being smart about traveling alone.)

Traveling has a way of taking me out of my “normal” way of seeing things, my normal framework for understanding myself, my life, and the world around me. It's often while traveling that I realize most strongly how far I actually am from “home”. It's been during the mini-trips that I've taken here that I've realized just how much my time here is a very long trip itself. Trips are trippy. :P

Trips are tough too. My sense of place is constantly changing, as is my sense of “home.” (Where do I consider home? What does home mean?)

I recently told a friend that I'd never before felt this conflicted about where “home” is and where I want to be. He wrote back that sometimes you need to be unstuck from where you think is home to realize that it's only inertia keeping you there (at least in some cases).

And an awesome song:



No comments:

Post a Comment