Friday, January 6, 2012

Bi Bu Njëk Ndank - The First Step

I've taken my first malaria pill, my bags aren't packed yet but everything is in piles, and at this time tomorrow, I will be on a plane headed to Senegal. AHH! The Arabic phrase “Inshallah” (God willing) that's scattered throughout Senegalese conversation is really appealing right now. I'm nervous and excited but most of all I'm eager to be there and learn from every person and situation.

Here's some basic information about the program I'm doing:
- I'll be staying with a host family in Dakar, which is the capital of Senegal. If you look at the map, you'll see where Dakar and Senegal are located in the larger scheme of things. Fun fact: The region of Dakar contains the westernmost point of mainland Africa.
- The official language of Senegal is French and the regional language predominant in Dakar is Wolof. Everyday conversation is a blend of French, Wolof, Arabic, and a little English. Communication shall be interesting! (I have taken several years of French and know a little Wolof.)
- The school where I'll be studying, the Baobab Center, is also in Dakar. Their mission is "to promote cross-cultural understanding, social justice and the health and well being of Africa's people through effective communication and transformational training" by partnering with the local community to implement culturally appropriate solutions to social justice issues. (That mission statement in an of itself really excites me!) The students are mostly foreigners from the US on study abroad programs or preparing for Fulbright or Rotary scholar work. The professors are all Senegalese and classes are held in French. I'll be taking classes on “Dakar in Transition” (the effects of globalization on Dakar), Culture, Gender and Politics (studying Senegalese literature), the History of Islam, the People and Culture of Senegal, and Wolof. We'll also have some sort of independent project but the details are unclear at this point. I'm excited!
As I head into this, there are a few insights that have really stuck with me:
"I've heard it said that people come into our lives for a reason bringing something we must learn and we are led to those who help us most to grow if we let them" - "For Good" from the musical Wicked
“Everyone a learner, everyone a teacher, everyone a leader” - The Unheard Voices by Stoecker and Tyron
And some Wolof phrases:
No ko bokk - we share it. If something is worth having, it is worth sharing.
Ndank, ndank - step by step. The sense of time in Senegal is very different than here in the US. Things will happen, Inshallah, God willing, means that they may or may not happen. There is more emphasis placed on relationships than completing tasks. In preparing for studying abroad, the other Senegal-bound Beloiters and I have joked about “Dakar Time” being the reason we receive delayed information. For example, we just received our host family information today, the day before we leave the US. Everything moves more slowly, and that is something I hope I learn to embrace throughout my time in Senegal.
Fayda - sense of self
"Faydah is knowing yourself, knowing what you want. To feed your family, you must have the faydah to work hard in the fields...Faydah is what makes dreams come true, what lays the path ahead of you as you walk through the forest. It allows you to accept a friend's invitation for tea, it guides you as you treat others with the respect that you deserve for yourself. Faydah gives you the courage to take decisive action. It is the seed God planted in your heart and your life is meant to serve its cultivation...Faydah grows in the heart. The heart has no borders or limits, in time or space.” - Give with Gratitude by Katie Kruger
I'll try to update this blog often with stories, pictures, and reflections but in all likelihood, I won't post more than once a week. Feel free to comment and ask questions!
Also, here's a taste of Senegalese music! It's mostly in Wolof but there's some French in there too.

I'm so nervous but SO EXCITED! A huge thank you to everyone who has supported me in big and small ways along this study abroad process!

2 comments:

  1. Have fun Debbie! I'll miss you!

    -Beth

    ReplyDelete
  2. Safe travels, Debbie! I am so excited for you!

    ReplyDelete